The Safe Kids Metro KC program works with community partners to prevent accidental injury and death to children 14 and under by educating adults and children, creating safe environments, conducting research and advocating for effective laws.
- Radio report on HYPERTHERMIA June 2012, Bryan Thomspson, KPR
- Annual CSI Child Safety Initiative Conference, "PARTNERS IN PREVENTION" Friday, April 12, 2013 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. NOTE: conference materials are available on the calendar page.
Map and directions to the Kauffman Foundation Conference Center.
- Regular child safety booster seat checks and installations
(called Safe Kids Buckle Up).
- Community education and outreach.
- KC area fitting stations
We provide this link for a list of places you can go in the KC metro area to have your child's car seat installed properly. Some seats are available at most stations, for a donation.
- 32-hour National Standardized Child Passenger Safety trainings developed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Participation in all course activities, successful performance on tests and evaluation of hands-on skills is required for national certification.
- Teaching children (and parents) to be aware of risks in patterns of walking and areas of unsafe structures, sidewalks and roadways. Pedestrian safety activities build up to Safe Kids Walk This Way celebrations during International Walk to School Week in October. Click here for a video about Walk to School Day 2011.
- Providing safety education about childproofing a home, which helps prevent falls, cuts, fires, burns and other household injuries to all members of the family.
- Teaching about bike safety as well as proper helmet protection—offered through trainings developed by the Mid America Regional Council with support from Safe Kids Metro KC.
- Legislative initiatives regarding state child passenger safety laws.